Join South Florida’s next-generation of inspiring community leaders, artists and change-makers at Sanborn Square in Downtown Boca Raton, FL on Tuesday, April 16th from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM for a community-wide vigil, dialogue, and call to action aiming to unite our city across lines of difference to address rising hatred and ongoing violence. This event seeks to remind us of the past while looking to the future, through an exploration of the meaning of “never again” in South Florida and how we, as a community, can continue to work to make that dream a reality.
We will honor the victims of violence around the world through a powerful name-reading ceremony, hear inspiring performances that open hearts and minds, learn from influential community members about issues of violence and remembrance, and participate in a bridge-building dialogue. To celebrate and activate our renewed commitment to look out for one another, we will host a concluding celebration with food trucks and feature game-changing organizations that you can immediately take action with. This event is one of dozens of #TogetherWeRemember vigils taking place around the world in April to transform remembrance into action during Genocide Awareness Month.
Time & Date:
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
72 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33432
Confirmed Speakers, Performers, and Organizations:
- Sawyer Garrity and Andrea Peña (Shine MSD / MSD Students)
- Congressman Ted Deutch (D-FL)
- Rabbi David Steinhardt (B’nai Torah Congregation / Boca Raton Interfaith Clergy Association)
- Rabbi Leonid Feldman (Temple Beth El, West Palm Beach)
- Rev. Fr. Andrew Sherman (St. Gregory’s Episcopal Church, Boca Raton)
- Arsine Kaloustian (Armenian Genocide Commemoration, Inc.)
- Taniel Koushakjian (Florida Armenians)
- Liz Vocasek (Anti Defamation League)
- Antonella Regueiro (Lynn University)
- David Estrin (Together We Remember)
- Representatives from Church World Service
Melkon Tersakian, a 35-year resident of Boca Raton and Deerfield Beach, passed away prematurely on March 29, 2019. He was 65 years old. He leaves behind a son Michael, a daughter Olivia of Deerfield Beach, a sister Marta Batmasian (James) of Boca Raton, as well as nephews, cousins and relatives all over the world.
Funeral services will be held on Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 11:00am at St. David Armenian Church, 2300 Yamato Road, Boca Raton, FL 33434. Burial service will follow at Boca Raton Cemetery, 451 SW 4th Ave., Boca Raton, FL 33431.
Following services, family and friends are welcome to a memorial meal (hogejash) in Mardigian Hall, St. David Armenian Church.
In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Melkon Tersakian may be made to St. David Armenian Church.